SPRING 2021 – Now Hiring: Experienced Underwriter
TO APPLY: email@example.com
Agribusiness Risk Underwriters (ARU) is a niche insurance program administrator, with a specialization insuring challenging farm/ag property risks. As a modern insurance organization, ARU is heavily invested in technology; however, our core underwriting approach relies on deep niche expertise and the nuances of human judgement.
ARU is currently seeking an experienced Underwriter to join our team, dive into the poultry confinement niche, and play an integral role in our mission to make ARU the best poultry underwriting organization in the world. The right fit for this role will be a very fast learner, be career-oriented, have extremely strong organizational skills, and will demonstrate an impeccable attention to detail.
- Commit to consistent study and academic pursuit of increased poultry farm niche knowledge and expertise.
- Analyze loss control inspections and assess loss control violations and underwriting discrepancies, in accordance with company guidelines.
- Generate loss control recommendation reports to ARU policyholders and brokers. Follow up on these recommendations in accordance with company guidelines.
- Review and underwrite new/renewal business and endorsements. Determine acceptability of risk by reviewing the risk characteristics, loss control inspections, and other available information, in accordance with company guidelines and growth/profit targets.
- Notify brokers of adverse underwriting decisions, underwriting requirements, status, and declinations. Negotiate with brokers to reach positive and profitable outcomes.
- Facilitate regular communication and collaboration among ARU claims, loss control, and claims departments, ensuring that all three are in alignment and are assessing risk in the best possible manner.
- Coordinate and communicate with company accounting in regards to billing issues with underwriting implications.
- Maintain effective internal and external underwriting communication protocols, regarding underwriting procedures and practices, growth/profit goals and objectives, and broker relations.
- Follow internal audit and quality control protocols, reviewing underwriting files for accuracy and completeness.
- Provide technical insurance support and training to ARU brokers.
- Master the use of ARU standardized hardware, software programs, third party software, and processing procedures.
WHAT WE REQUIRE – YOUR EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLSET
- Bachelor degree from an accredited 4 year college or university
- 5+ years of commercial and/or farm PROPERTY underwriting experience
- Experience in farm / agribusiness insurance lines is a plus but is not required – commercial lines experience translates well to the farm/ag space
- Working knowledge of critical fire hazard and structural failure assessment points in PROPERTY risks
- Proven ability to take ownership of assigned responsibilities and accompanying results
- Proficient with modern business technology
- High intellectual curiosity, with an enjoyment of learning and self-improvement
- Excellent critical thinker and problem-solver under pressure
- Exceptional personal organization and time-management skills, with demonstrable ability to execute teams with high logistical challenges
- Graceful, tactful, and professional, in the spoken word and in written form
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING TO YOU
- Position in a fast-growing, modern, technology-based company, where your contribution will be critical to the company’s success, and where where individual performers are recognized and promoted
- Opportunities for advancement into management
- Resume-building opportunity in the fast-paced and challenging insurtech space
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience and skill set
- Employer-paid health insurance, PTO, and a retirement plan with company match
- This is a 100% work from home position
- You must have an appropriate home-office set-up including a desk and a comfortable chair, in a separate enclosed room with a door that closes and that has professional decor appropriate for video conferencing.
- You must supply reliable hard line high speed internet connection with speed of at least 25 MBPS download and 5 MBPS upload via WIFI or an ethernet port in the same room as the home office
ABOUT ARU’S CULTURE
We demand excellence from ourselves and those around us; we work accurately and thoroughly, but also with a great sense of urgency; we are excellent critical thinkers and creative problem solvers; we contribute cheerfully to ARU’s environment of collaborative brainstorming and respectful debate; we love to explore and experiment, and we are comfortable occasionally blazing a trail that ends up actually being a “bridge to nowhere” — just as long as we fail fast, pivot appropriately, and become tougher and smarter as a result; we love to learn, read, and grow as human beings; we believe in science-based truths, and we know there is no such thing as an alternative fact.
MORE ABOUT ARU
ARU is an early-stage fast-growing insurance and technology company that began development in 2016 and launched to consumers July 1, 2018. ARU was founded on principles of creativity and innovation, with a goal to use expertise, engineering, and technology to disrupt the legacy marketplace. Our core mission is to deliver a superior experience to our policyholders, while also maintaining sustainability and consistency writing historically-challenging classes of business. To do so, we build and deploy 100% proprietary insurance products, we invest heavily in property loss prevention engineering and research, and we develop home-grown software and other technology. We also focus on collaborative broker and policyholder relationships, which allow us to deliver shared victories for all stakeholders.